Trefor is a small hamlet situated on the B5109, from Llangefni to Bodedern, in the middle of the very beautiful island of Anglesey. It sits at a crossroads, where traffic from the busy A55 crosses the traffic from Bodedern going to the market town of Llangefni.
It’s only place of worship today is Capel Ebenezer/Temperance Chapel, a Welsh Methodist Chapel built in 1804, then rebuilt in 1833.
Trefor is also the birth place of Sir John Morris-Jones. He was an author, scholar, grammatitian and poet who helped restore classical standards to Welsh poetry. Sir John was the eldest son of Morris Jones, a shopkeeper. He graduated with honours in Mathematics at Oxford University in 1887, later becoming the first Professor of Welsh at the University College of North Wales, Bangor. He was knighted in 1918.
John Jones (born Oct. 17, 1864, Llandrygarn, Anglesey, Wales—died April 16, 1929,
Sir John Morris-Jones’ birthplace, Trefor, Ynys Môn
His works include:
A Welsh Grammar, Historical and Comparative (1913)
Cerdd Dafod (1925; “The Art of Poetry”)
Orgraff yr Iaith Gymraeg (1928; “The Orthography of the Welsh Language”)
Unfinished study of syntax(1931), published posthumously under the title Welsh Syntax.