Photo to follow.
- 225g medium oatmeal
- 110g self raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 25g golden syrup
- 220g black treacle
- 110g margarine
- 110g soft brown sugar
- 3tsp ground ginger
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- Grease and line an 8″ sq tin
- Place a medium sized pan on to the weighing scales and into this measure the margarine, sugar, syrup and treacle. Place on the stove, on a gentle heat until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Into a large bowl put the flour, ginger, salt and oatmeal and give it a good stir to mix well.
- Pour the melted syrup mix into the flour mix and stir well to combine.
- Add the beaten egg and milk and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 3/4 to 2 hours.
- Cool in the tin for 30 minutes before turning out. (Don’t worry if the Parkin sinks a little in the middle, it will not show when cut into squares and it will still taste nice).
- The longer you can keep Parkin, the better it will taste (within reason of course, don’t keep it for years and years 🙄)